If you are trying to lose weight you must first of all know that decreasing your calorie input and increasing your calorie output is the only real way to go. A decrease in calorie input means eating less while and an increase in calorie output means moving more ore exercising. It is true that engaging in regular exercise makes our bodies burn more calories, but to maximise our results we must pay attention to our intake of calories from food as well.
Creating caloric deficit is the secret route to fat loss. A caloric deficit is any shortage in the amount of calories consumed relative to the amount of calories required for maintenance of current body weight (energy homeostasis). A deficit can be created by reducing input/calories consumed (lower food intake, aka dieting). A small reduction in the volume of food we eat, coupled with smart food choices and cooking, can help reduce caloric intake and maintain long-term weight loss. There are 3500 calories in 1 pound (0.45kg) of fat. Thus, you need to burn 500/ 1000 calories more than you consume each day to lose 1/ 2lbs. of fat per week.
Here are the steps to creating a caloric deficit:
- Use this calorie calculator to determine your daily calorie requirement.
- Use the weight loss calculator to determine the time period and calorie deficit required to reach your target weight.
- Reduce your calories to 15 – 20% below maintenance.
- Reduce your calories by at least 500 calories, but no more than 1000, below maintenance level.
- Do not go below 1200 calories per day for women and 1800 for men or 1000 calories below maintenance level
- If you wish to create a larger calorie deficit, do it through exercises like cardio and metabolic bursts.
To effectively lose body fat and keep it off, we must trick the bodies natural fat storage system. The following interventions are the route to consistent and sustainable fat loss:
- Reduce your calories by only a small amount
- Either eat small and frequent meals ( i.e every 3-4 hours) or practice intermittent fasting ( i.e consume your reduced daily calories in a 6-8 hour window within 24 hours)
- Zigzag” your daily calorie consumption by eating a little more after 3 low calorie days
- Employ meal tapering. Eat your largest meal in the morning and taper it till dinner
- Add viscous fibre to your diet. its a natural appetite suppressant.
Now #tryit!👍🏾 increase your caloric deficit to reveal a slimmer you by eat less and moving more. Remember to add metabolic burst exercises to accelerate fat loss and #shopgravity to #sweatinstyle!
“The proceeds from our apparel in the Gravity store are donated for the benefit of the community and other charitable purposes”