Incorporating a periodic detox into our diet is an important aspect of leading a healthy lifestyle. There are so many different toxins and chemicals in the air that we breathe every day, it is impossible for our bodies to filter 100% of them. Exercise helps release toxins and keeps our ph level in check. However not all of these toxins can be removed through exercise. As a consequence they accumulate in our cells, especially fat cells, blood, tissues, and organs. The colon, brain, and liver are all extremely susceptible to being invaded by these toxins over the years. Over time the collection and storage of these toxins causes all sorts of health problems.
What are these Health Problems?
Irregular bowel syndrome (IBS), bloating stomach, constipation, severe gas, weight gain, chronic fatigue, acid reflux, stomach pain, diverticulitis, hair problems, and skin problems can all be associated with a jammed up colon.
Detoxifying will help the body restore to its natural balance and give it renewed energy and vitality. There are many different ways that you can cleanse and detoxify your body on a daily bases. One of these ways is by using a diet of fruit and vegetables to cleanse the colon. Eat them whole or puree them into juice; either way they act to purify your body.
Why Use Fruits and Vegetables?
When you use a regular diet of fruit and vegetables to cleanse your colon you will also meet your caloric requirements with healthy food, rather than with fat, sugar, and low-nutrient foods. This routine will directly protect you from heart disease and gaining weight thus extending your life. Most importantly, it is natural.
Every living thing has at least one parasite living in it or on it. Scientists are just beginning to realize the possibility that parasites within our body have the ability to upset and alter our internal chemical balance.
Parasites have killed more people than all the car wrecks and wars put together. The combination of these parasites, mixed with an unhealthy diet and environmental toxins pose a grave danger to human race. By using a fruit and vegetable diet to cleanse the colon on regular bases, this grave danger can be greatly reduced.
What should I eat during the detox?
You should eat only natural fruits and Vegetables. In addition, some of the most important natural diet changes will be necessary during the detox period. These are:
- Eliminate the use of dairy products
- Increase your intake of vegetables
- Drink 8 to 10 Glasses of bottled or filtered water
- Eat Fruit, sip on fruit or vegetable extracts between meals.
- Eat as much fruit and vegetable as you want.
- Eat at least on fruit before retiring
You should keep in mind, while on this detox plan that you will go to the bathroom more frequently and in larger amounts than ever before (at least 3-4 bowel movements per day). This is due to eating substantial amounts of wholesome fibrous fruits and vegetables combined with fibre drinks, short term use of herbal laxatives, healthy fats and oils (e.g. olive oil), and increased daily water intake.
Giving up the ‘good’ things
Successful cleansing is dependent not only on what you ingest, but also what you avoid. If you want the best results from cleansing, you will need to make some hard choices and stick to the plan. So all you have to do is cut out ALL the items below! Trust me the benefits will far outweigh the temporary withdrawal.
Remember, by no means, not even a little bit, should you eat the following during the detox.
- Tap water
- Coffee, black tea and chocolate.
- Sugar or sweetener, in any form.
- Wheat and gluten products, flour products of any kind, including baked goods, pastas and bread.
- Dairy, milk and butter, cheese and yogurt.
- Animal, fish, and seafood.
- Eggs, tofu, beans, grains, and legumes.
- Fried food
- Artificial foods, preservatives, sweeteners, colours, and flavours.
- Bottled and canned drinks.
- Dried fruit, other than the small daily serving of soaked prunes.
- Potatoes, yams, avocados, corn, peas, mushrooms, artichokes, and bananas.
- Food from fast food restaurants.
- Canned, packaged, and processed food.
- Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated vegetable oils.
- Salt; none for at least three days.
Hey, nobody said it was going to be easy! Seriously though, it’s only for a few days – and what’s a few days of abstinence compared to your future well being? Nevertheless to avoid extreme fatigue during the detox no strenuous exercise should be done.
YOUR NIGERIAN MENU:
An excellent cleanser is to add the juice of half a lemon to a cup of warm water with a little raw honey and a pinch of cayenne pepper (the lemon mix). One or two cups can be taken first thing in the morning to help move the bowels, or it can be used as a meal replacement during a cleanse.
The cleansing diet could consist of the lemon mix upon arising, fresh fruit for breakfast, steamed vegetables for lunch, salad for dinner and water, green or herbal (decaf) tea in between meals.
Please assist your body in flushing out the toxins by drinking Swedish bitters first thing in the morning in the first 3 days of the cleanse. You can also drink the lemon mix immediately after for further cleansing.
Below is a list of some things you can eat during the detox:
- Ukpaka/ugba – steamed with lots of onions, shombo/pepper and maggi. (no oil please)
- Ugu or ukazi- steamed with lots of onions pepper and maggi (no oil please)
- Fruit salad
- Vegetable salad with a table spoon of olive oil , black pepper and salt
- Steamed green beans and cabbage or any combination of steamed vegetables
- Steamed pumpkin
- A variety of fruit (except avocado pear and banana). You can also juice them and drink it as often as you want
- Hausa ground nut/tiger-nuts
- Garden eggs and ukpaka (no peanuts please)
- Steamed broccoli.
- Okro steamed with ground shombo, onions and crayfish with uziza leaf.
- Okro pepper soup
You can add a sprinkle of crayfish to these and mix or match them in different ways during this cleanse. You can also call or email us to confirm a fruit or vegetable.
Let’s have fun creating exciting ways to enjoy fruit and vegetables…
This detox may be done periodically, perhaps once in 3 months or to kick start a weight loss journey. Friends of Gravity have successful lost 5kg or more after this detox and have reported improvements in complexion, bowel movement and so much more. Don’t over-think it…just try it and lets hear how it went.
You can do this…Go!
“The proceeds from our apparel in the Gravity store are donated for the benefit of the community and other charitable purposes”